Current:Home > NewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Thrive Success Strategies
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:51:58
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (28715)
Related
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- 2 National Guard members killed in Mississippi helicopter crash during training flight
- Inside Travis Kelce's New Romantic Offseason With Taylor Swift
- Nicholas Jordan, student charged in fatal Colorado shooting, threatened roommate over trash
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- So many sanctions on Russia. How much impact do they really have?
- Florida refuses to bar unvaccinated students from school suffering a measles outbreak
- Wendy Williams, like Bruce Willis, has aphasia, frontotemporal dementia. What to know.
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Seaplane crashes near PortMiami, all 7 passengers escape without injury, officials say
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Single-engine plane crash in southern Ohio kill 3, sheriff’s office says; FAA, NTSB investigating
- Remains identified as Oregon teen Sandra Young over half a century after she went missing
- If You’re an ‘It’ Girl, This Is Everything You Need To Buy From Coach Outlet’s 75% off Clearance Sale
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Kayakers paddle in Death Valley after rains replenish lake in one of Earth’s driest spots
- Toyota recalls 280,000 Tundras, other vehicles over transmission issue
- Oaths and pledges have been routine for political officials. That’s changing in a polarized America
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
We celebrate Presidents' Day with Ray Romano, Rosie Perez, and more!
Federal prosecutors accuse a New Mexico woman of fraud in oil and gas royalty case
If You’re an ‘It’ Girl, This Is Everything You Need To Buy From Coach Outlet’s 75% off Clearance Sale
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
Some Arizona customers to see monthly fees increase for rooftop solar, advocates criticize rate hike
Body of nursing student found on a University of Georgia campus; police questioning person of interest
Wyoming starts selecting presidential delegates Saturday. But there’s not a statewide election