Current:Home > reviews3 men acquitted in last trial tied to 2020 plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer -Thrive Success Strategies
3 men acquitted in last trial tied to 2020 plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 18:01:21
A jury acquitted three men Friday in the last trial connected to a plan to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, a scheme that was portrayed as an example of homegrown terrorism on the eve of the 2020 presidential election.
William Null, twin brother Michael Null and Eric Molitor were found not guilty of providing support for a terrorist act and a weapon charge. They were the last of 14 men to face charges in state or federal court. Nine were convicted and now five have been cleared.
The Nulls and Molitor were accused of supporting leaders of the plan by participating in military-style drills and traveling to see Whitmer's vacation home in northern Michigan. The key players, Adam Fox and Barry Croft Jr., were convicted of a kidnapping conspiracy last year in a different court.
In the latest trial, the jury heard 14 days of testimony in Antrim County, the location of Whitmer's lakeside property, 185 miles north of the state Capitol.
There were gasps in the courtroom Friday morning as the jury foreperson announced not guilty verdicts, first for the brothers and then Molitor. Deliberations began Thursday morning and lasted a few more hours Friday.
The men cried as they hugged their lawyers and supporters.
"You gentlemen are free to leave," Judge Charles Hamlyn said.
Authorities have said an attack on Whitmer began to simmer at a regional summit of anti-government extremists in Dublin, Ohio, in summer 2020. Fox, Croft and William Null were in attendance while an FBI informant also inside the gathering secretly recorded profanity-laced screeds threatening violence against public officials.
The disgust was also fueled by government-imposed restrictions during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to recordings, text messages and social media posts introduced as evidence at trial.
Molitor, 39, and William Null, 41, testified in their own defense, admitting they had attended gun drills and taken rides to check Whitmer's property. But William Null said he and his brother broke away when talk turned to getting explosives. Molitor said Fox was "incredibly dumb" and wouldn't pull off a kidnapping.
Assistant Attorney General William Rollstin urged jurors to not be swayed.
"If you help in whole or even in part you've satisfied that element" of the crime, Rollstin said in his closing argument Wednesday. "Was he helping him to plan? Was he helping him prepare? The answer is absolutely."
Michael Null, 41, did not testify and his lawyer took the unusual step of declining to question any witnesses during the trial. Tom Siver said Michael Null did nothing wrong.
Informants and undercover FBI agents were inside the group for months before arrests were made in October 2020. Whitmer was not physically harmed.
Nine men were previously convicted in state or federal court, either through guilty pleas or at three other trials.
After the plot was thwarted, Whitmer blamed then-President Donald Trump, saying he had given "comfort to those who spread fear and hatred and division." Out of office, Trump called the kidnapping plan a "fake deal" in 2022.
- In:
- Whitmer kidnapping plot
- Michigan
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- ICN Expands Summer Journalism Institute for Teens
- Biden set his 'moonshot' on cancer. Meet the doctor trying to get us there
- How do pandemics begin? There's a new theory — and a new strategy to thwart them
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Kim Zolciak Shares Message About Love and Consideration Amid Kroy Biermann Divorce
- Avatar Editor John Refoua Dead at 58
- Shell Sells Nearly All Its Oil Sands Assets in Another Sign of Sector’s Woes
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Pierce Brosnan Teases Possible Trifecta With Mamma Mia 3
Ranking
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Arnold Schwarzenegger's Look-Alike Son Joseph Baena Breaks Down His Fitness Routine in Shirtless Workout
- Keystone XL, Dakota Pipeline Green-Lighted in Trump Executive Actions
- Daniel Penny indicted by grand jury in chokehold death of Jordan Neely on NYC subway
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Florida Fracking Ban Bill Draws Bipartisan Support
- All the Dazzling Details Behind Beyoncé's Sun-Washed Blonde Look for Her Renaissance Tour
- Her husband died after stay at Montana State Hospital. She wants answers.
Recommendation
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Avatar Editor John Refoua Dead at 58
Your next job interview might be with AI. Here's how to ace it.
'Dr. Lisa on the Street' busts health myths and empowers patients
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Biden to receive AFL-CIO endorsement this week
Coal’s Steep Decline Keeps Climate Goal Within Reach, Report Says
Is Climate Change Urgent Enough to Justify a Crime? A Jury in Portland Was Asked to Decide