Current:Home > ScamsRobert Brown|Olympic boxer at center of gender eligibility controversy wins bizarre first bout -Thrive Success Strategies
Robert Brown|Olympic boxer at center of gender eligibility controversy wins bizarre first bout
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 21:01:03
PARIS – Algeria's Imane Khelif,Robert Brown one of two female Olympic boxers disqualified from the 2023 world championships after failing gender eligibility tests, entered the ring Thursday at the Paris Games.
Her bout ended in abrupt and bizarre fashion.
Khelif prevailed when Italy’s Angela Carini stopped fighting after 46 seconds.
Carini was punched in the nose and shortly afterward said she didn't want to fight anymore, according to Italian coach Emanuele Renzini
"After one punch she feel big pain,'' Renzini told reporters,.
2024 Olympic medals: Who is leading the medal count? Follow along as we track the medals for every sport.
Carini wept when speaking with reporters after the fight and spoke only in Italian. Translation of her comments was not immediately available.
But Renzini said Carini had been told not to take the fight and it had been weighing on her as the bout approached.
During the first round, Carini consulted with her coach twice before the fight was halted. Officially, Khelif won by ABD (abandoned).
Opinion:Olympic female boxers are being attacked. Let's just slow down and look at the facts
The crowd at North Paris Arena greeted Khelif with cheers before the abbreviated fight at the Summer Olympics and several Algeria flags were seen among the crowd. The fight in the welterweight division at 66 kg (146 pounds) was scheduled for three three-minute rounds.
The issue of gender eligibility criteria surfaced at the 2023 world championships when Khelif and Lin Yu-Ting of Taiwan both won medals in the women’s competition before tournament officials announced the boxers had failed gender eligibility tests. They were stripped of their medals.
This week the International Olympic Committee (IOC) said the two boxers met criteria to compete in Paris, sparking discussion about gender eligibility tests.
Get Olympics updates in your texts! Join USA TODAY Sports' WhatsApp Channel
The world championships are overseen by the International Boxing Association (IBA), long plagued with scandal and controversy.
Last year the IOC banished the IBA and developed an ad-hoc unit that ran the Olympic boxing tournament at the Tokyo Games in 2021 and is doing the same here.
The IOC did not detail the criteria met by Khelif and Yu-Ting to compete here and in Tokyo, but did say the boxers’ passports state they are women.
Yu-Ting, 28, is scheduled to begin competition Friday against Sitora Turdibekova of Uzbekistan in the featherweight division at 57 kg (126 pounds).
Are you as obsessed with following Team USA as we are? Thought so. Subscribe to our Olympics newsletter Chasing Gold here.
veryGood! (24)
Related
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Prince Harry Reunites With Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie at King Charles III's Coronation
- AOC, Sanders Call for ‘Climate Emergency’ Declaration in Congress
- Many children are regularly exposed to gun violence. Here's how to help them heal
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Today’s Climate: June 11, 2010
- 3 common thinking traps and how to avoid them, according to a Yale psychologist
- Obama Administration Halts New Coal Leases, Gives Climate Policy a Boost
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Texas Fracking Zone Emits 90% More Methane Than EPA Estimated
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- This rare orange lobster is a one-in-30 million find, experts say — and it only has one claw
- Prince Andrew Wears Full Royal Regalia, Prince Harry Remains in a Suit at King Charles III's Coronation
- Bow Down to These Dazzling Facts About the Crown Jewels
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Today’s Climate: June 7, 2010
- Leaking Methane Plume Spreading Across L.A.’s San Fernando Valley
- See the Royal Family Unite on the Buckingham Palace Balcony After King Charles III's Coronation
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
2017 One of Hottest Years on Record, and Without El Niño
Polar Vortex: How the Jet Stream and Climate Change Bring on Cold Snaps
Why The Bladder Is Number One!
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Some hospitals rake in high profits while their patients are loaded with medical debt
Why The Bladder Is Number One!
J&J tried to block lawsuits from 40,000 cancer patients. A court wants answers