Current:Home > ScamsKeenan Allen said he told Chargers a pay cut was 'not happening' before trade to Bears -Thrive Success Strategies
Keenan Allen said he told Chargers a pay cut was 'not happening' before trade to Bears
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:59:20
Six-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Keenan Allen is opening up about the shocking trade that sent him from the Los Angeles Chargers to the Chicago Bears earlier this week.
The Chargers traded Allen to the Chicago Bears in exchange for a fourth-round pick on Thursday, one day after Los Angeles released wide receiver Mike Williams. Allen confirmed that the Chargers had asked him to take a pay cut or restructure his contract, as linebackers Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack agreed to do. He said he declined.
"There really was no emotion, it was, I'm not doing it," Allen said of the team's request. "I'm not doing it. Came off my best season, so it's not happening."
Allen, who was drafted out of the University of California with the 76th overall pick by the Chargers in 2013, caught a career-high 108 receptions (a Chargers single-season record) for 1,243 yards and seven touchdowns through 13 games. He missed the final four games of the season with an ankle injury.
TRADE: Bears land Pro Bowl wide receiver Keenan Allen in shocking trade with Chargers
NFL STATS CENTRAL: The latest NFL scores, schedules, odds, stats and more.
OPINION: Chargers' Joe Hortiz, Jim Harbaugh pass first difficult test
Allen said he "obviously wanted to finish my career" in Los Angeles, "but things happen and you've got to keep on going."
Allen, 31, said he's "definitely excited about the new opportunity and can't wait to team up with Bears receiver DJ Moore. The Bears own the No. 1 overall pick and are widely expected to draft USC QB Caleb Williams.
"Anytime you've got two guys that can make plays and beat man coverage, it's going to be tough," Allen said. "That's anytime. Obviously, he's a guy who's made plays in this league for a long time, and myself as well. Both of us together, it's going to be pretty good."
Allen said he's going to "just continue what I've been doing" in Chicago. He added, "Nothing changes but the jersey for me. That last name's still gonna be on the back."
2024 NFL FREE AGENCY UPDATES:Tracker for Friday's biggest buzz, notable contracts
"I'm just a friendly guy," he said. "I'm a friendly guy on and off the field. Obviously on the football field, I know the game. I know the ins and outs. I know the zones. I know how to beat man (coverage). I know pretty much how to play the game, so I just think I'm friendly for the quarterback because I'll be in the right spots. I know how to communicate with them."
veryGood! (143)
Related
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Prince William Misses Godfather's Memorial Service Due to Personal Matter
- New York Jets releasing durable guard Laken Tomlinson in move that saves cap space
- Love Is Blind’s Jess Fires Back at Jimmy for “Disheartening” Comments About “Terrible” Final Date
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- NFL scouting combine is here. But there was another you may have missed: the HBCU combine
- Federal judge reverses himself, rules that California’s ban on billy clubs is unconstitutional
- Court documents shed new details in killing of nursing student at University of Georgia
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Suspect in Georgia nursing student's murder is accused of disfiguring her skull, court documents say
Ranking
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Jennifer Aniston forgets the iconic 'Rachel' haircut from 'Friends' in new Uber Eats ad
- A work stoppage to support a mechanic who found a noose is snarling school bus service in St. Louis
- Hawaii’s governor releases details of $175M fund to compensate Maui wildfire victims
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Former MLB Pitcher José DeLeón Dead at 63
- Prince William Misses Godfather's Memorial Service Due to Personal Matter
- Burger chain Wendy’s looking to test surge pricing at restaurants as early as next year
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Here's why the 'Mary Poppins' rating increased in UK over 'discriminatory language'
US Army is slashing thousands of jobs in major revamp to prepare for future wars
NTSB: Engine oil warnings sounded moments before jet crash-landed on Florida highway, killing 2
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Jennifer Aniston forgets the iconic 'Rachel' haircut from 'Friends' in new Uber Eats ad
New footage shows moments after shooter opens fire at Joel Osteen's Lakewood Church
Blogger Laura Merritt Walker's 3-Year-Old Son Callahan Honored in Celebration of Life After His Death