Current:Home > InvestU.S. pauses UNRWA funding as U.N. agency probes Israel's claim that staffers participated in Oct. 7 Hamas attack -Thrive Success Strategies
U.S. pauses UNRWA funding as U.N. agency probes Israel's claim that staffers participated in Oct. 7 Hamas attack
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 18:03:20
The United States government said Friday that it was temporarily pausing additional funding for UNRWA, the United Nations humanitarian agency that serves Palestinians, as the organization said it had opened an investigation into allegations from Israel that some of its staff members participated in Hamas' Oct. 7 attack.
On Oct. 7, Hamas militants, designated a terrorist organization by Israel, the U.S. and the European Union, killed around 1,200 people in Israel and kidnapped about 240 others, according to Israeli officials.
UNRWA said it had fired the employees who were accused.
"The Israeli authorities have provided UNRWA with information about the alleged involvement of several UNRWA employees in the horrific attacks on Israel on October 7," Philippe Lazzarini, UNRWA Commissioner-General, said in a statement Friday, according to the Reuters news agency. "To protect the agency's ability to deliver humanitarian assistance, I have taken the decision to immediately terminate the contracts of these staff members and launch an investigation in order to establish the truth without delay."
Lazzarini did not say how many UNRWA employees were accused of participating in the attack, but said "any UNRWA employee who was involved in acts of terror" would be held accountable, and possibly face criminal prosecution. 30,000 people work for UNWRA, according to its website. State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said 12 UNRWA employees had been accused of participating in the Oct. 7 attack.
Stéphane Dujarric, spokesperson for U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, said in a social media post that Guterres had been briefed by Lazzarini on the "extremely serious allegations" against the UNRWA staff and that he was "horrified by this news and has asked Mr. Lazzarini to investigate this matter swiftly."
The U.N. chief had urged the termination of the staffers and a referral for criminal prosecution of any UNRWA employees found to have participated in the attack.
The United States, the largest funder of UNRWA, announced that it would temporarily pause further funding for the agency "while we review these allegations and the steps the United Nations is taking to address them."
State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said in a statement that the U.S. was "extremely troubled" by the allegations and had reached out to the Israeli government about them. He said members of Congress had been briefed.
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken spoke with Guterres Thursday to discuss the allegations and told him "there must be complete accountability for anyone who participated in the heinous attacks," according to Miller's statement.
The U.S. has put its aid for UNRWA on hold previously, under former President Trump in 2018, and the agency has long been accused by Israel of turning a blind eye to Hamas activities in Gaza.
The Biden administration resumed the U.S. funding in 2021, and is now asking Congress for an additional aid package for Israel and the Palestinians.
CBS News' Margaret Brennan, Olivia Gazis and Camila Schick in Washington contributed to this report.
- In:
- Hamas
- Israel
- United Nations
- Gaza Strip
Haley Ott is cbsnews.com's foreign reporter, based in the CBS News London bureau. Haley joined the cbsnews.com team in 2018, prior to which she worked for outlets including Al Jazeera, Monocle, and Vice News.
Twitter InstagramveryGood! (3)
Related
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- The Best Valentine's Day Gifts Based On Each Love Language
- Why the FTC is cracking down on location data brokers
- Elmo Wants to Reassure You There Are Sunny Days Ahead After His Viral Check-in
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Former suburban St. Louis police officer now charged with sexually assaulting 19 men
- Colorado legal settlement would raise care and housing standards for trans women inmates
- Walmart stores to be remodeled in almost every state; 150 new locations coming in next 5 years
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Prison gang leader in Mississippi gets 20 years for racketeering conspiracy
Ranking
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Ex-CIA computer engineer gets 40 years in prison for giving spy agency hacking secrets to WikiLeaks
- Police search for two missing children after remains found encased in concrete at Colorado storage unit
- A look at atmospheric rivers, the long bands of water vapor that form over oceans and fuel storms
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- The Best Waterproof Shoes That Will Keep You Dry & Warm While Elevating Your Style
- Fun. Friendship. International closeness. NFL's flag football championships come to USA.
- Camp Lejeune water contamination tied to range of cancers, CDC study finds
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Her son was a school shooter. She's on trial. Experts say the nation should be watching.
Taylor Swift is the greatest ad for the Super Bowl in NFL history
Harvard megadonor Ken Griffin pulls support from school, calls students 'whiny snowflakes'
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
How a cat, John Lennon and Henry Cavill's hairspray put a sassy spin on the spy movie
Walmart stores to be remodeled in almost every state; 150 new locations coming in next 5 years
TikToker Campbell Pookie Puckett Apologizes for Harm Caused by Insensitive Photos