Current:Home > InvestMaryland program to help Port of Baltimore businesses retain employees begins -Thrive Success Strategies
Maryland program to help Port of Baltimore businesses retain employees begins
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 04:45:33
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Maryland Gov. Wes Moore announced on Friday the start of a program to help Port of Baltimore businesses retain employees in the aftermath of the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse.
The $12.5 million program aims to prevent layoffs while recovery work continues. The program was created by executive order and authorized by emergency legislation the governor signed on Tuesday.
“We must do everything in our power to support the 8,000 Port workers whose jobs have been directly affected by the collapse of the Key Bridge — and the thousands more who have been touched by this crisis,” Moore, a Democrat, said in a news release.
The program is being run by the state’s labor department.
“The Worker Retention Program will keep Port businesses in operation and workers able to earn income and support their families as the U.S. Army Corps and others work to get the shipping channels reopened,” said Maryland Secretary of Labor Portia Wu.
Under the program, entities eligible for up to $200,000 in grants include businesses that employ up to 500 workers, unions, trade associations, and organizations that have had operations hindered or completely halted by the port slowdown.
Up to $7,500 can be spent per worker on wages or other support.
Businesses that receive funding under the program must demonstrate an effort to the fullest extent to avoid layoffs and maintain workforce hours, rates of pay, and benefits that were in effect before the port’s reduced operations.
Allowable expenses include supportive services for workers, such as subsidizing child care and transportation costs as well as payroll expenses as part of participation in the Work Sharing Unemployment Insurance Program.
The governor’s office said other relief programs that were authorized by the legislation signed into law this week will start on April 22.
One of them provides grants of up to $100,000 to eligible businesses that have had operations impacted or shipments disrupted at the port. To be eligible, businesses must demonstrate economic and financial injury through a reduction in business revenue and activity, or increased costs to business operations.
The Department of Commerce: Port of Baltimore Emergency Business Assistance Program will begin accepting applications.
Another program will make a total of $15 million in loans and grants available to businesses that have been affected by a loss of revenue or increased costs, under the Neighborhood BusinessWorks program administered by the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development.
The Small Business Grants Program will have $5 million to offer grants up to $50,000 to small businesses within a 5-mile radius of the Key Bridge, and the Business Loan Program will have $10 million to offer loans up to $500,000 to businesses impacted by the Key Bridge collapse or reduction in Port activity statewide.
The container ship Dali was leaving Baltimore, laden with cargo and headed for Sri Lanka, when it struck one of the bridge’s supporting columns last month, causing the span to collapse into the Patapsco River. Six members of a roadwork crew were killed.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- NCAA to consider allowing sponsor logos on field in wake of proposed revenue sharing settlement
- 'Dance Moms' star Kelly Hyland reveals breast cancer diagnosis
- At Sen. Bob Menendez’s bribery trial, prosecutors highlight his wife’s desperate finances
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- As Maduro shifts from migration denier to defender, Venezuelans consider leaving if he is reelected
- McDonald's spinoff CosMc's launches app with rewards club, mobile ordering as locations expand
- At 100, this vet says the ‘greatest generation’ moniker fits ‘because we saved the world.’
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Millie Bobby Brown marries Jon Bon Jovi's son Jake Bongiovi in small family wedding
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Minnesota defeats Boston in Game 5 to capture inaugural Walter Cup, PWHL championship
- Why Ben Higgins Says He and Ex Fiancée Lauren Bushnell Were Like Work Associates Before Breakup
- Illinois General Assembly OKs $53.1B state budget, but it takes all night
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Yankees manager Aaron Boone comes to umpire Ángel Hernández's defense after backlash
- Minnesota defeats Boston in Game 5 to capture inaugural Walter Cup, PWHL championship
- DNC plans to nominate Biden and Harris virtually before convention
Recommendation
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
Israel says it’s taken control of key area of Gaza’s border with Egypt awash in smuggling tunnels
Hurricane Ian destroyed his house. Still homeless, he's facing near-record summer heat.
Taylor Swift fans wait in 90-degree temperatures for doors to open in Madrid
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
3 shot to death in South Dakota town; former mayor, ex-law enforcement officer charged
Why Teen Mom's Mackenzie McKee Says Fiancé Khesanio Hall Is 100 Percent My Person
Kourtney Kardashian and Kim Kardashian Set the Record Straight on Their Feud