Current:Home > FinanceProsecutors ask judge to deny George Santos’ bid to have some fraud charges dropped -Thrive Success Strategies
Prosecutors ask judge to deny George Santos’ bid to have some fraud charges dropped
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:21:33
NEW YORK (AP) — Federal prosecutors are asking a judge to reject former U.S. Rep. George Santos ’ bid to have some of the fraud charges against him dropped as his trial approaches.
The New York Republican, who last year became only the sixth lawmaker in history to be expelled from the U.S. House of Representatives, has requested that a judge dismiss three of the 23 charges against him.
Santos faces a slew of criminal charges, including allegations that he defrauded campaign donors, lied to Congress about his wealth, received unemployment benefits while employed, and used campaign contributions to pay for personal expenses like designer clothing. He pleaded not guilty to a revised indictment in October.
But in court filings last month, Santos’ lawyers argued that the aggravated identity theft charges should be dropped because he has not been accused of obtaining credit card information from donors unlawfully, but simply for overcharging them.
“All of the credit cards were voluntarily sent to Santos’ campaign and his campaign was authorized to charge the cards for a specified amount,” defense lawyers wrote in their motion to dismiss the charges.
Prosecutors, in legal filings on Friday, dismissed Santos’ request as “meritless.”
They said they’ll show at trial how he used the identities of his donors to fraudulently and deceptively evade federal campaign finance laws.
“Santos did not merely ‘use’ credit card information that he properly possessed; he abused it, with specific intent to defraud, to increase the amount of money he had appeared to raise as a candidate for the House,” prosecutors argued in their lengthy filing. “Nor did he merely ‘use’ names in entering fraudulent charges on his victims’ credit cards; he misused them deceitfully, with specific intent to mask, conceal, and prolong his unlawful activities.”
Lawyers for Santos didn’t respond to an email seeking comment Monday. He is slated to go on trial in September and isn’t due back in federal court on Long Island until August.
In April, he dropped his longshot bid to return to Congress as an independent in the 1st Congressional District on Long Island.
veryGood! (794)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Russian armed resistance group tells CBS News the Ukraine war is helping it attack Putin on his own soil
- Love Is Blind's Micah Apologizes For Controversial Behavior on the Show
- Watch 2023 Human Rights Watch Film Festival documentaries in NYC and at home
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- How Kieran Culkin Felt About Macaulay Culkin's Home Alone Fame
- CIA Director William Burns secretly met with Chinese counterpart in Beijing last month
- How Meghan Markle Will Be Royally Recognized at Gracie Awards
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Your First Look at Summer House's All-Black Spinoff Martha's Vineyard
Ranking
- Average rate on 30
- The Bachelor's Zach Shallcross Admits Finale Drama With Gabi Elnicki Was Really Painful
- Afghanistan school girls poisoned in 2 separate attacks, officials say, as Taliban vows to find perpetrators
- Shop the Best New March 2023 Beauty Launches From Shiseido, Dermalogica, OUAI & More
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Italy leads revolt against Europe's electric vehicle transition
- Pete Davidson Shares Exactly How Many Women He's Dated in the Last 10 Years
- Mystery surrounds death of bankrupt bank trustee who fell from 15th floor of building in Bolivia
Recommendation
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Russia used starvation tactics against Ukraine civilians, investigators claim in new war crime allegation
Grateful Ryan Seacrest Admits He's Looking Forward to Live With Kelly and Ryan Departure
Afghanistan school girls poisoned in 2 separate attacks, officials say, as Taliban vows to find perpetrators
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
Jennifer Aniston Teases Twists and Turns in The Morning Show Season 3
Revive Dry, Damaged Hair With This Mask That Makes My Strands Luxuriously Soft With the Glossiest Shine
Gwyneth Paltrow Speaks Out After Court Victory in Ski Crash Case